After WWII, new interest in education, along with new programs (speaking, court reporting etc.) brought scores of new students into private career schools. Private school leaders worked diligently to have their schools recognized as eligible schools for the GI Bill and eventually succeeded.
In 1949 the National Association of Accredited Commercial Schools (NAACS) and the National Council of Business Schools (NCBS) consolidated and become one. At the jointly held Annual Convention, the boards of both the NAACS and the NCBS finalized the merger and they became the National Association and Council of Business Schools or the NACBS. The word accreditation was dropped from the name.
The organization felt that it was important to clearly identify the purposes and goals of its member institutions and in 1952; an accrediting commission of the NACBS was formed, becoming the Accrediting Commission of Business Schools or ACBS. The Commission adopted new policies and standards of practice. They also worked on general requirements for entrance in private career schools, catalogs and minimum degree requirements, establishing the early drafts of what is now the ACICS Accreditation Criteria.
In 1962, the AACC and the NACBS unified and became the United Business Schools Association (USBA). The Compass became the official voice of the new organization and the Business School Executive ceased publication. At the end of the year, the organization celebrated its 50th anniversary with a focus on the future and the huge amount of work still left to be done.
In the 1960’s, private education underwent a major overhaul in the government. With the passing of bills like the Vocational Education Act and the Manpower Development Training Act, more people were taking advantage of private educational opportunities. With this came more involvement from the USBA and more recognition from the government. Because of this, the USBA decided to establish and maintain a full-time staff in the Washington DC headquarters. In 1972, members voted to change the name of the USBA to the Association of Independent Colleges and Schools (AICS). The sub-committee that focused on the accreditation (Accrediting Commission of Business Schools) was shortened to the Accrediting Commission. In 1983, the organization moved to brand new quarters in One Dupont Circle in Washington, DC. Eight years later, in 1991, the organization was renamed the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) and a year later, moved to its current address on First Street, NE, in Washington DC. The Accrediting Commission was phased out once it was realized that ensuring the quality of the member institutions is essentially what accreditation is and is thus, the primary focus of the organization.
<< Previous | Next >>